UK EEA Family Permit


Any citizen of an EU country taking up residence in the UK in accordance with EU treaty rights is entitled to bring their family with them. ‘Family’ includes a spouse, children under 21 years and any other family members who are part of the same household and remain dependent upon the EU citizen.

The main advantage of this type of visa is that there are no work restrictions on the holder of the permit or their dependants.

This type of visa can lead to permanent residence in the UK.

 In order to qualify for an EEA family permit to live and work in the UK, spouses and unmarried partners of EEA nationals must meet the following eligibility requirements:

  • The sponsor must be an EEA national, or a Swiss national, who is exercising or wishes to exercise, rights of free movement under the Treaty of Rome in the UK.
  • EEA nationals who have been in the UK or plan to remain in the UK for more than 3 months, must demonstrate to the satisfaction of the UK Border Agency (UKBA) officials that they are “qualified sponsors”, e.g. a jobseeker, worker, self-employed individual, financially self-sufficient, or student.
  • Partners must have personally met each other prior to sponsorship.
  • In case of a de facto (unmarried) partnership, the EEA sponsor and their partner must have been living together in a durable relationship for at least 2 years prior to sponsorship.
  • If you apply for an EEA family permit as a married couple, your marriage must be valid under the laws of the country in which it took place and under UK law.
  • You must be in a genuine relationship and intend to continue living together permanently after an EEA family permit has been granted.


Qualifying as a family member

You must be the EEA citizen’s spouse or civil partner, or related to them (or their spouse or civil partner) as their:

  • child or grandchild under 21 years old, or dependent child or grandchild of any age
  • dependent parent or grandparent


Validity of visa

The initial permit is valid for six months (employment authorised). Once in the UK, the EEA family permit holder may apply for a 5-year residence card to confirm their right to live in the UK.


Conditions of the Permit

An EEA Family Permit would in this instance would usually be issued for 6 months and allows unrestricted employment in the UK for the duration. In the course of those 6 months it is expected the EU citizen applies for a Residence Permit (if not already held) and their spouse/partner applies at the same time for a Five Year Family Permit.

New requirement for visa customers wishing to stay in the UK for more than 6 months, to get a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) on arrival. you will receive a 30 day travel visa in your passport.

You should be aware that:

  • you must travel within this 30 day period or your visa will expire
  • if your 30 day travel visa expires before you travel, you will need to apply for a replacement and pay another fee in order to travel to the UK
  • once you arrive in the UK you must collect your BRP from the Post Office you chose when you applied for your visa within 10 days
  • you will receive a letter with your visa decision providing instructions on what you need to do once in the UK

Your BRP is an important document. It provides proof of your permission to be in the UK, for how long and the conditions attached to your stay, and can also be used as identification. View example of BRP.

Applicants who are applying to work, study or settle in the UK will also need an Immigration Health Surcharge reference number to access health services whilst in the UK, and you will need to make a compulsory additional payment for this as part of your application. Please note that failure to make the required payment will result in you not being able to submit your application.

Travel Insurance including medical cover is required when travelling. It must cover the duration of the requested visa. Request Travel Insurance here.

With each Visa there is a different cost based in the foreign currency of the Country you are visiting, which together with our volatile South Africa Rand, results in the costs of Visas fluctuating.  In order for us to provide you with a quote, reflecting the current cost for the Visa you require, please Click Here.

  1. A thorough and detailed information gathering process ensuring you are provided with the latest current information.
  2. Guidance as to the best submission process and submission centre regarding such applications.
  3. Counselling throughout the preparation process, providing you with checklists and templates for the supporting documents required for your application.
  4. Completing and submitting your online application.
  5. Arranging the couriering of your documents.
  6. Assisting in liaising and obtaining where possible supporting documentation and accreditation from the required 3rd parties. Noting that in some instances the time frame of such documentation is beyond the control of SA Travelbug.
  7.  Arranging for the translation of required supporting documents.
  8. Preparation of a complete application dossier for presentation to Immigration Authorities, as required.
  9. If required we will also arrange your Consular appointment.
  10. To maintain the confidentiality of the client’s information and documents and to only release these details to the noted Government officials and those required by law or in order to expedite the application, unless the Applicant provides the authority to release information or documents to any other party.pplicant provides the authority to release information or documents to any other party.

You should get a decision within 3 weeks of attending your appointment at the visa application centre.

Note: We cannot guarantee visa processing times in advance. All processing periods quoted are estimates only and subject to change.

Call Now Button


Let me know on WhatsApp below how I can assist you or send me an email now.

× How can I help you?