UK Ancestral Visa


The UK Ancestry visa entitles a Commonwealth citizen, who has a grandparent born in the UK, to gain entry to the UK permitting them to take up or seek employment and eventually settle in the UK.

Travel Insurance including medical cover is required when travelling. It must cover the duration of the requested visa. Request Travel Insurance here.

You must prove that you:

  • are 17 or over
  • have enough money without help from public funds to support and house yourself and any dependents
  • can and plan to work in the UK

You must also show that you have a grandparent born in 1 of the following circumstances:

  • in the UK, including the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man
  • before 31 March 1922 in what is now the Republic of Ireland
  • on a British-registered ship or aircraft

You can claim ancestry if either you or the relevant parent:

  • were adopted
  • were born within or outside marriage in the UK

You can’t claim UK ancestry through step-parents.

Need info here please Julie fo each UK visa.

New requirement for visa customers wishing to stay in the UK for more than 6 months, to get a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) on arrival. you will receive a 30 day travel visa in your passport.


You should be aware that:

  • you must travel within this 30 day period or your visa will expire
  • if your 30 day travel visa expires before you travel, you will need to apply for a replacement and pay another fee in order to travel to the UK
  • once you arrive in the UK you must collect your BRP from the Post Office you chose when you applied for your visa within 10 days
  • you will receive a letter with your visa decision providing instructions on what you need to do once in the UK

Your BRP is an important document. It provides proof of your permission to be in the UK, for how long and the conditions attached to your stay, and can also be used as identification. View example of BRP.

You must be tested for tuberculosis (TB) if you are going to the UK for more than 6 months. Children under 11 years don’t need an x-ray but will also get a certificate. This is a mandatory requirement when applying for your UK visa. You’ll be given a certificate which is valid for 6 months from the date of your x-ray.

SA Travelbug will secure your TB appointment on your behalf with a clinic approved by the UK visa offices. They won’t accept a TB test certificate from a clinic they haven’t approved. Example of TB Certificate here. TB Screening for the UK Factsheet here.

Applicants who are applying to work, study or settle in the UK will also need an Immigration Health Surcharge reference number to access health services whilst in the UK, and you will need to make a compulsory additional payment for this as part of your application.

You will then be able to use the National Health Service (NHS). You will however still need to pay for certain types of services, such as prescriptions, dental treatment and eye test.

For current applications, the immigration health surcharge costs:

  • £150 – £300 per year as a student or youth mobility
  • £400 per year for all other visa and immigration applications

If you have any dependants, they will usually need to pay the same amount as you.
The Chancellor announced in his March 2020 Budget that the IHS would be increasing to £624 from October 2020. Also increasing is the discount rate of £470 for children, students and Youth Mobility scheme migrants.

Please note that failure to make the required payment will result in you not being able to submit your application.

SA Travelbug will assist you with the processing of South African Police Clearance Certificates (PCC) which is a mandatory requirement for your visa application. We will submit your application, follow-up to ensure that the application gets registered on the SAPS system, and collect it on completion. We will then send you a scanned copy so that you can ensure that all the details on the PCC are correct before we send it back to you via courier. More on SA Police Clearance.

The New Immigration Regulation dictate that as from 01 June 2015 children require Unabridged Birth Certificates, along with their passports, when travelling.  Should you be travelling with children, please ensure that you apply for these certificates timeously. SA Travelbug can assist you to obtain these.

The additional visa requirements for children are:

  • Adequate arrangements must have been made for their travel to, reception and care in the UK.
  • If the applicant is not applying or travelling with a parent or guardian based in their home country or country of ordinary residence who is responsible for their care:
  • that parent or guardian must confirm that they consent to the arrangements for the child’s travel to, and reception and care in the UK.
  • Where requested, this consent must be given in writing
  • A child who holds a visit visa must either:
    (a) hold a valid visit visa that states they are accompanied and will be travelling with an adult identified on that visit visa; or
    (b) hold a visit visa which states they are unaccompanied
    If neither applies, the child may be refused entry unless they meet the requirements of the previous paragraph.

Download PDF Parental Consent Letter. Download Children Travelling out of SA.

Travel Insurance including medical cover is required when travelling. It must cover the duration of the requested visa. Request Travel Insurance here.

With each Visa there is a different cost based in the foreign currency of the Country you are visiting, which together with our volatile South Africa Rand, results in the costs of Visas fluctuating.  In order for us to provide you with a quote, reflecting the current cost for the Visa you require, please Click Here.

  1. A thorough and detailed information gathering process ensuring you are provided with the latest current information.
  2. Guidance as to the best submission process and submission centre regarding such applications.
  3. Counselling throughout the preparation process, providing you with checklists and templates for the supporting documents required for your application.
  4. Completing and submitting your online application.
  5. Arranging the couriering of your documents.
  6. Assisting in liaising and obtaining where possible supporting documentation and accreditation from the required 3rd parties. Noting that in some instances the time frame of such documentation is beyond the control of SA Travelbug.
  7.  Arranging for the translation of required supporting documents.
  8. Preparation of a complete application dossier for presentation to Immigration Authorities, as required.
  9. If required we will also arrange your Consular appointment.
  10. To maintain the confidentiality of the client’s information and documents and to only release these details to the noted Government officials and those required by law or in order to expedite the application, unless the Applicant provides the authority to release information or documents to any other party.

You should get a decision within 4 weeks of attending your appointment at the visa application centre.

Note: We cannot guarantee visa processing times in advance. All processing periods quoted are estimates only and subject to change.

Call Now Button


Let me know on WhatsApp below how I can assist you or send me an email now.

× How can I help you?