Marriage visit visa

Marriage visit visa

6 October 2015 - 9:35 pm

The new Visitor Visa system has simplified the system by reducing the 15 types of UK Visitor Visa categories to four. The four categories now consist of:

  • Visit (standard) – the standard visa available to tourists;
  • Marriage / Civil Partnership Visit – this covers those entering the UK to finalise marriage and civil partnerships;
  • Permitted Paid Engagements (PPE) Visit – a visa for persons who will be undertaking paid engagements such as theatre appearances, concerts and performing arts;
  • Transit Visit will be for people transits through the UK.

Marriage / Civil Partnership Visit Visa

You must apply for a Marriage Visitor visa if:

  • you want to get married or register a civil partnership in the UK.
  • you want to give notice of a marriage or civil partnership in UK.
  • you’re not planning to stay or settle in the UK after your marriage or civil partnership.
  • you meet the other eligibility requirements.

What you can and can’t do

You can:

  • use this visa to marry or enter into a civil partnership in the UK:
  • within 6 months of your arrival.
  • in any location licensed for this purpose.

You can’t:

  • get public funds.
  • bring in family members (‘dependants’) – they must apply separately.


  • live in the UK for extended periods through frequent visits.
  • extend your visa or switch to another visa.
  • work – except for permitted activities related to your work or business overseas, eg attending meetings.
  • do a course of study – except for 30 days of incidental study.



Processing times

Most applications are processed within 15 days.

Number of days to process application 2 days 3 days 5 days 10 days 15 days 30 days 60 days
% of applications decided 19% 61% 92% 99% 99% 99% 100%