The new Visitor Visa system has simplified the system by reducing the 15 types of UK Visitor Visa categories to four. The four categories now consist of:
- Visit (standard) – the standard visa available to tourists;
- Marriage / Civil Partnership Visit – this covers those entering the UK to finalise marriage and civil partnerships;
- Permitted Paid Engagements (PPE) Visit – a visa for persons who will be undertaking paid engagements such as theatre appearances, concerts and performing arts;
- Transit Visit – will be for people transits through the UK.
Marriage / Civil Partnership Visit Visa
You must apply for a Marriage Visitor visa if:
- you want to get married or register a civil partnership in the UK.
- you want to give notice of a marriage or civil partnership in UK.
- you’re not planning to stay or settle in the UK after your marriage or civil partnership.
- you meet the other eligibility requirements.
What you can and can’t do
- use this visa to marry or enter into a civil partnership in the UK:
- within 6 months of your arrival.
- in any location licensed for this purpose.
- get public funds.
- bring in family members (‘dependants’) – they must apply separately.
- live in the UK for extended periods through frequent visits.
- extend your visa or switch to another visa.
- work – except for permitted activities related to your work or business overseas, eg attending meetings.
- do a course of study – except for 30 days of incidental study.
Most applications are processed within 15 days.
|Number of days to process application||2 days||3 days||5 days||10 days||15 days||30 days||60 days|
|% of applications decided||19%||61%||92%||99%||99%||99%||100%|